Monday, August 10, 2009

First day of school! First day of school!!!

After my first day of school, i am feeling a lot of different things. I am thinking that i am going to have a long short year. My professor who is teaching this summer course, is very similar to a couple of professors i had in my undergraduate experience.
Last night, as i was struggling to write my first paper on how i know who i am, i became frustrated at the reoccurrence of the theme of writing about myself. I remember that as a frequent topic in my undergraduate work. I definitely needed the self reflection at the time, as i had things in my life i needed to work through. I feel like with my work in San Francisco and by sitting in class listening to where my peer group is coming from, i kind of have an idea as to how i work with people. Maybe i am being stubborn and maybe a little self righteous but i've had some pretty intense and diverse experiences that kind of makes me slightly farther along as far as my own theories for practice. Maybe i am grumpy cuz it's fucking humid and hot outside. Maybe its because i have a headache. Maybe it's the fact that my whole class is white women with the exception of one white guy with two older women and the majority of them are 23/24 year olds fresh out of their undergrad.
I know it isn't fair to compare life experiences and to measure the experience. Maybe i should just shut my mouth and not be so freaking judgemental.
I thought a lot about my clients today. I miss my work. I look forward to my internship and i think it will be a good experience.
There were some cool folks in the class. I met a girl who just did her Americorps in Missoula. There was another lady who totally reminds me of Felicia, Amy's friend from Humboldt who grew up in California. I was surprised that there were a lot of people who were doing the two year advanced standing. Like part time. I don't think i could do two years. I think i have to get a job. Lisa tells me i should get my financial aid re-evaluated and see if i could get more money. That freaks me out. I don't want to have to stress about money while i am in school. I want to be stressing about school.
Anyway. i am off to the grocery store. then laundry and reading.


Portland is beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment